Thursday, June 2, 2011

Impromptu Church Dance Party

I have always been the kid that loves church. I always have looked forward to it. When I was younger, I’m sure it was more about the singing, friends and free cookies after service, but in the years since I have truly fallen in love with Jesus, going to the building that we call the church has changed in to one of the greatest joys of my life. It is a time to come together with your friends, your family and brothers and sisters in Christ to tell Him together how much you love Him, praise Him for the things He has done for us, learn from Him and fall on our faces in need of Him. It is no exception here in Haiti. In fact, I’ve got to say that last night was possibly one of my favorite church services on record.
We got there early and two of our friends were playing key board and drums (Kristin got her first drum lesson… she may have a new calling on her life ;)) then this family of about 5 little kids came in and started grooving to our friends’ jam session.  So, Kristin and I went over and started dancing with them. We danced until service started, and by the time we composed ourselves to have “orderly worship” we realized that quite a few others had filtered in and were dancing in the pews, praising our Lord too. Prayer time began. Now I’ve got to say. I would be SO stoked if we prayed like they do here in the states. I don’t think first time visitors would like it too much but, who knows. In our church here, the prayer leader gets up and opens us up in community prayer, and then there is a time for us all to pray out loud together, and let me tell you! Those times of community out loud prayer are some of the most powerful prayer times I’ve had in my entire life. (and for the record, this isn’t a Pentecostal or charismatic church… not that there is anything wrong with that, we are just a Jesus loving church here in Haiti)  After prayer, last night’s worship was unearthly. We sang… and we danced, and let me tell you… Haitians can dance for their Savior. I personally have no rhythm and no moves, but last night, I couldn’t stop it. I didn’t know the words to sing, but the amazing thing about worshiping our God is that you don’t always have to use words. I’m pretty sure He likes it when we let go of our inhibitions and dance and clap before Him with our brothers and sisters. Moments like these remind me of David in 2 Samuel 6 where he is celebrating with all of the people and he dances before the Lord with all of his might. Then when his wife despises him because of his celebration before the Lord and David responds "Therefore, I will celebrate before the Lord and I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes." (6:22) I can’t tell you how much joy and celebration of the Lord there was last night. Oh! The Wonder of our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment