Friday, March 16, 2012

Thoughts

Two of my favorite giggly kids
It is my 11th day in Haiti. It is strange how normal it feels to have not seen another white person for 11 days. I have not spoken English with an American for 11 days and I have felt completely at home. I felt before I left, that my 3 weeks spent in Jacmel would be restful, and I am blessed to say, that thus far, they are. I generally do some sort of work in the morning, go to the kids feeding program in the afternoon and giggle with ridiculously cute kids till I head to the hotel for a nap. After a refreshing nap under the ceiling fan in my room, I head to dinner and then either to church or to hang out. I could get used to this life. I got mono last November, and since then have not quite been the same.  Before I came here I was so fatigued, I could hardly make it through an entire workday, and then would be lucky if I had enough energy to go home and put some food in my mouth before I tumbled into bed. I think the sunshine and consistent schedule are doing me well, I have only felt slightly fatigued a few times. God is so good!

I am looking forward to the festival in a little more than a week. I feel the Lord has been laying on my heart the word “boldness” for the festival and the week before hand.

Proverbs 28:1 “The righteous are as bold as a lion.”

In Acts 4:29 Peter and John ask God to enable them to speak His Word with great boldness

The very last verse of Acts says that Paul rented a house for two years, and while living there welcomed any that would come and see him, and he proclaimed the Kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ- with all boldness and without hindrance.

2 Corinthians 3:12 Paul talks about being very bold because of the great hope that we have in the New Covenant that Christ made for us.

Why should we not be bold? We who believe in Jesus Christ have the greatest gift ever given to mankind! Its life giving, freeing, and exhilarating! And yet, we fear to share it, we fear rejection, we fear hurting people’s feelings. I think instead of shying away from the truth, we must fear God alone, and speak the truth of God’s love with grace and truth.

I’m talking to myself here, more than anyone. I am guilty of shying away from gospel sharing opportunities, or being uncomfortable when in a situation of talking about Jesus, and yet Revelation 12:11 says “they overcame by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimonies, and they did not love their lives so much as to shrink away, even when faced with death.” That’s boldness! That’s truth!
I was so excited to witness some of this boldness on Sunday morning. Our church in Haiti always asks visitors to stand and introduce themselves to the congregation and state if they are a believer in Jesus Christ or not. This particular Sunday, a gal stood up saying that she believed in God, but had not yet accepted Jesus as her savior. Our pastor shrieked in amazed disbelief that anyone could hear, know and understand the goodness of Jesus and not immediately accept Him. So pastor called her , and anyone else who desired to make Jesus their Lord and Savior, (there were 5 in all) forward before the entire congregation to pray over them, and with them as they accepted Christ. Pastor then had them go to the back room with an usher so they could follow up with them and get them into a discipleship program. 5 people saved in one morning!!! All because a pastor had the boldness to ask a simple question, and was not afraid to call someone out in love.

Side note- I cannot tell you enough how obsessed I am with my new Bible. It’s the new NIV single column one. I feel like I couldn’t eat enough of the words in it to ever be fully satisfied, and yet I walk away from every moment with my Father’s words in it feeling completely satiated. Something about it feels like I’ve never read the words on the pages before, and yet, I’ve read some of these words hundreds of times over my life. I suppose it is how I imagine old married couples to feel when they wake up one day with a new serge of “first love” for their spouse that they haven’t felt in decades, even though the love of faithfulness has taken its place.

Do you ever have those days where you wake up and feel there is nothing truly worth getting out of bed for, but you pull yourself out of the tangle of sheets and blankets because you find you can’t stand your own morning breath, or you need to use the bathroom. And then, because you know it is what you should do, you crack open your Bible where the book marker told you you left off, and being to read. And the instant your eyes read the first word, the moment it makes its way to your heart, a fresh wind of life blows through empty house of your soul, and you truly begin to wake. By the time you’ve read the first stanza, a smile cracks your frown hardened face and you all of a sudden can’t wait to see what the day holds for you with your God.  When you are full of His life like that, it is as if no trial or any petty arguments have any place in the grand scheme of His goodness, and anything can roll off your shoulder with a smile. But by afternoon you are wearied, ready for a nap and getting a little snappy at the adorable kids around you, who just want some attention. You don’t feel like you have the energy to go to His word, but it is the only thing that is as refreshing as water in a dry and weary land. And so you do as time has proven effective, and you again open the pages of the life- giving book that so many hands have opened before yours and you drink deep of His love, His truth, grace and fear. And He gives you strength again to face the rest of the day. I suppose it is a bit like eating. Do you ever have those days? I’ve had quite a grand string of them and I wish I could say that every time I began to feel weary and heavy laden, I ran to Him, but I haven’t. I wish I had. I’m sure I would be in a much better spot in life right now if I had of, but His sanctification process and patience to us are dear and I am grateful to be His child.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, inspiring words sister. I am seriously so lifted up and challenged by this post. Thank you for your continued faithful authenticity and boldness. Wish i could be down there! Tell Jean-Marie that I wish I knew him as another brother in Christ. Maybe a trip to Haiti will do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so incredibly beautiful and perfectly made for all He is doing throughout the world. May God continue to radiate from every pore...you are so amazing. I so desire to have a heart more like yours for Him.
    xoxo, the wife of a very handsome husband with a sweet 50s haircut (And her little girl Ruth)

    ReplyDelete