Saturday, May 14, 2011

Haitians: A People of Passion and Patience

On thursday, we were at church and something that I found profound happened. The pastor was preaching very passionately about something that I only understood about every 3rd word, and as he finished up, members of the congregation, one by one and very politely stood up to ask him questions. Apparently, his message had been either new material to some, or rather controversial. He was speaking about Romans 8, and walking in the flesh as opposed to walking in the Spirit. Afterwards, I asked him to repeat the sermon for me in Creole/English so I could understand, and he did so for me very graciously. He was right on. He spoke of how we no longer live according to the law, but now we have been set free by Grace. The thing that got eveyone riled up, was when he began to speak of what things are considered sin. As in, looking lustfully at someone or thinking evil for someone in your mind. Alot of people were asking about how could you be sinning if you weren't "doing" anything. The message itself was not too profound to me, nor peoples questions. The thing I found revolutionary that night was that people would stand up in the middle of a packed out church service and ask the pastor questions beacause they didn't understand. First off: that takes humility. That takes not caring what man thinks of you and wanting to truely know what God thinks. To stand up and ask questions takes a thirst for God. I was quite blown away. I love the church we attend here they have such a passion for our God. ... and I wish I always understood every word that they say. I've been asking for the gift of tounges :) soon enough :)
Today Krisitn and I are blessed with a day off. We were going to go over to our friends house and play, but we diecided to have them come to our house. They brought a movie with them to watch. We were excited to see a movie... and it was in English. They showed me four burned discs, and I assumed they were probably about 30 min each. After 4 HOURS into a cheesy drama, romantic, action film, we realized that we were still only on disc 2 and it was almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and we hadn't done a thing. Our friends had to go, so they left the other 2 discs for us to finish on our own. 8 HOURS of one movie??!! Shoot, I cant hardley sleep still for 8 housrs. Let alone sit through a movie. Haitians, I believe are the most patient people I have ever met. I honestly am blown away at how incredibly hard they can work, and how incredibly long they can sit. I'm not going to lie, my bum is tired. But it was so fun and Kristin and I are so incredibly blessed to have such great friends here. I LOVE IT! God is SO good to us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment