Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3 Days

In  3 days Kristin Gregory and I will be embarking on an adventure of a lifetime. In merely 75 hours we will be on a plane to Haiti where we will spend the next 106 days serving the Lord and His people.
The last couple of days I have found myself wondering why the Lord is sending me to Haiti. I am not wondering  in the doubting sense, but rather the wonder of what good am I there? Its almost too fun, too fulfilling and sunny to be real.Why in the world would God choose a loquacious hairstylist who is rarely serious and probably has too many tattoos for her own good to go to Haiti? I think that if I were God, I wouldn't choose me. I would probably pick the well seasoned, missionary couple who have had a great marriage for 15 years and have been to multiple bible schools in the African bush together and know how to start a fire out of two sticks and a rock in the middle of a down pour. And then I remembered 1 Corinthians 1:26-29 and life made a little more sense:
26For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,
 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,
 29so that no man may boast before God.
I am the weak, I am the foolish, I am the base and I am nothing; that God may be everything. So that no man may boast before God. So that I may not boast of myself before God or men. That He may have all of the gory. I have nothing to boast of except the Lord. He is so good! And I feel honored that I get to experience the things He is going to do in Haiti first hand.
Sometimes, I wonder what good it is to send a bunch of missionaries into a country that is economically debilitated, physically crumbling to the ground and its own people are already preaching the gospel. Are we doing more harm than good? Are we making an impact for the Kingdom in Heaven and Earth? Or are we just more mouths to feed? Then the Lord comforted me. Isaiah 61 says :
1The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
         Because the LORD has anointed me
         To bring good news to the afflicted;
         He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
         To proclaim liberty to captives
         And freedom to prisoners;
    2To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD
         And the day of vengeance of our God;
         To comfort all who mourn,
    3To grant those who mourn in Zion,
         Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
         The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
         The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting
         So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
         The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.

There are many in Haiti, and right here in Portland who are the afflicted, brokenhearted, captive, mourning and fainting. The same Spirit of God who is the one to bring good news, bind broken hearts, set people free and comfort is the same Spirit that dwells in any of us who have received Him and we now get to be His hands and His feet. I get to be His hands and feet in Haiti for the next three and a half months. I don't need to worry about the impact I am making, if I know He has called me to do His work. I know that He has called me to to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep myself unstained by the world. (James 1:27) I know that He has called me to go out into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation (Mark 16:15). As I go, doing these things in His Spirit, He will make the outcome He desires, as opposed to what I think should happen. What a glorious God we serve! What Joy to be with the creator of all things and to have adventures in life with Him! I believe there will be many adventures to come for Krisin and I in Haiti and I hope I get to share them here with you. What adventures has God prepared for you, since before the world began? If you listen to Him, to His still small voice, I bet you will find adventures and joy in Him greater than you ever could have imagined.
Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. I will be putting a note up on our youth ministry board so that our church can keep you and those you are working with in their prayers! if you decide to make a prayer card or something with a picture of you on it for prayer reminders let us know and we can put that up instead! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I'm proud of you! and I'll be praying for you ladies as you embark upon this new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I love this post, and I love you! I cannot wait to hear the testimonies... God is so faithful! I know YOU WILL BE A BLESSING! May His Spirit lead you and guide you, and fill you with power from on high! May many find joy in Jesus as His love spills from you onto them!

    ReplyDelete